Municipal Services

Neighborhood Watch

Sanitation / Recycling


Drainage / Sewers


Municipal Services

Our municipal services are provided through a combination of City of Wellington and Louisville Metro Government.

Louisville Police Department
If you have an emergency, please call 911.
For non-emergencies (car break-ins, door-to-door solicitors, etc.) Please call: 574-2111 (Option 5)

MetroCall 311
Phone: 311

Louisville Fire Dept.
Phone: 502-574-3701

Waste Management (Garbage/Recycling/Yard Waste)
Phone: 502-966-0117 / Website
**Trash, recycling, and yard waste pickup are handled by Waste Management.  All pickups are on Tuesdays.

Louisville Water Company
Phone: 502-583-6610

MSD (Sewers/Drainage)
Phone: 502-587-0603 / Website

Animal Control Services
Phone: 502-473-7387

Inspections, Permits, and Licenses (IPL)
Phone: 502-574-3321

Before You Dig
Phone:  811

Neighborhood Watch

The City of Wellington is a Neighborhood Watch community. Our city blocks are organized to look out for one another and report to the police any suspicious activity. From time to time announcements will be posted on this page for meetings and updates. Please contact our Block Watch Chair if you have any questions, concerns or would like to be involved.

If you notice suspicious activities, please call Metro Safe Police dispatch 502-574-2111. If you have an emergency or witness illegal activity, please call 911 immediately with as much information as possible, including personal descriptions, vehicle descriptions, and license plates.

The Neighborhood Watch is nothing but “neighbors helping neighbors keep each other safe by being the eyes and ears for the police and each other.”  Our Neighborhood Watch is not a police force, not an auxiliary police force, and certainly not a vigilante group.

If you are going out of town or will be away from your property for an extended period of time and you would like the City of Wellington Police Officer to check in on your property, please email the City and provide your departure and return dates in addition to your contact phone number and email address. The City will compile the information and forward to the Officer. If there are any issues while you are away, the Officer will contact you directly.

Sanitation / Recycling

The City’s sanitation contract is with Waste Management and they provide all residents with recycle bin(s) and up to two large trash totes. Yard waste, Recycling and Trash collection is scheduled for Tuesday of each week. All services are from the curb. If you have any problems with or concerns about any of their services, please contact Waste Management directly. Phone: 502-966-0117 / Website.

Yard waste is collected year round and includes organic waste generated during regular household landscaping and gardening activities. Examples include: leaves, branches, twigs, shrubbery trimming, straw, pine needles, wood ash, and Christmas trees. Rocks, dirt, and gravel are not considered yard waste.

There is no limit on the number of paper bags or cans of yard waste that may be set out for collection. Guidelines for collection of yard waste:

  • Yard waste may be set out in garbage cans (including the large trash totes), paper bags, or compostable bags as long as each can or bag weighs no more than 60 pounds and can be easily lifted by the average person.
  • All yard waste must be set out by 6 AM on collection day – no earlier than 4 PM on the day before collection day.
  • All containers must be removed from the street or alley no later than 4 PM the day after collection and stored on the property.
  • Yard waste such as grass, leaves, or other yard waste must be free of other garbage or plastics flower pots etc.
  • Woody waste (such as tree limbs and shrub trimmings) should be less than 2 inches in diameter and should be cut into 4-foot lengths and securely tied into bundles light enough to be easily handled by one individual.

Effective January 1, 2015, yard waste set out for collection must be in one of the following containers: reusable bin, paper yard waste bag or compostable plastic bag meeting ASTM D6400 standards. So what is the best way to handle your yard waste?

  • Most Recommended: For a healthier, greener lawn utilize leaf mulch, grass clippings and trimmings by returning them to the turf system.
  • Second Best: Place the yard waste in 20-40 gallon reusable containers with handles (old style trash cans) to reduce the need for continual purchase of single-use bags
  • Next Best: Place yard waste in paper bags designed for yard waste collection
  • Still Works: Place yard waste in compostable plastic bags that meet ASTM D6400 standards
  • For large amounts: Reduce the volume by using a lawn mower or leaf shredder before putting them in a container

Recycling: Acceptable recycling items include newspapers, magazines, junk mail, boxes (i.e., cereal, cracker, etc. with linings removed), corrugated boxes, soft drink boxes, orange juice cartons (rinsed out), detergent boxes (Tide, Surf, etc.). NO PIZZA BOXES! Aerosol cans. Aluminum foil, pie pans, and tin cans (rinsed). Beverage containers (soft drink bottles, beer bottles, etc.). All colors of glass (rinsed). All plastic items numbers 1-6.

Please contact Waste Management customer service if you would like additional recycle containers or need to replace a missing top at 966-0117.

Trash Collection: If you currently have only one green Waste Management trash bin and would like a second bin (for garbage only) please call Waste Management Customer Service at 966-0117.

In the event you would like a smaller trash tote, please contact Waste Management.

Waste Management will pick up junk and large items with advance notification.

Ancillary Waste Management Services: Instead of a dumpster, get a Bagster:: Basic Price: $29.95 per bag/$89.00 to haul. Buy the Bagster bag at your local home improvement store. It comes in a compact package, so it’s easy to carry and set up. Simply buy as many as you need and fill them up with waste from your project. Fill your Bagster bag with up to 3,300 lbs. of debris or waste.


Questions about water service should be directed to Louisville Water Company Customer Assistance. Phone: 502-583-6610/  Website

Drainage / Sewers

Questions regarding drainage or sewers should be directed to MSD Customer Service. Phone: 502-587-0603 / Website Keep your drains clean in your yard to reduce the chance of backing up drains that cause other issues citywide.


The unique rare cast iron lamp posts which line the streets in front of our homes are owned and maintained by the City. If you see a problem, please notify a Commissioner. During 2013, all of the City’s lamp posts received a fresh coat of electrostatic paint and new acrylic glass panels were added to the globes. The globes were lightly frosted reduce the glare while allowing adequate light which is important for our neighborhood safety.

The utility lights behind our homes are rented from LG&E and paid for by the City. If a light is not working, please call LG&E Customer Service. Phone: 502-589-1444 / Website

© 2020