The City of Wellington (“City”) is subject to the municipal codes and ordinances of the State of Kentucky, and Metro Louisville, in addition to our own City ordinances.
Ordinance 1, 2021-2022 - Solid Waste & Recyclable Containers
Ordinance 2, 2021-2022 - Penalties for Parking Violations
Ordinance 3, 2021-2022 - Meeting Ordinance
Ordinance 4, 2021-2022 - City of Wellington Investment Policy
Ordinance 5, 2021-2022 - Criminal Nuisance Ordinance
Ordinance 6, 2021-2022 - Amendment to Commissioner's Pay Rates
Ordinance 7, 2021-2022 - Annual Budget for the Fiscal Year July 1, 2022 to June 30, 2030
Ordinance 8, 2021-2022 - The Levy of Ad Valorem Taxes
Overview of Important Wellington Ordinances:
♦ General Appearance:
- The City of Wellington maintains broadly-written ordinances covering appearance and maintenance standards. For example:
- Storage of inoperable motor vehicles, large household items, automobile parts, junk metal or accumulated rubbish is prohibited.
- Weed or grass growth higher than eight inches (8″) is prohibited (including vacant lots).
- Excessive shrub or tree overgrowth interfering with the safe use of City streets is prohibited.
- Our Ordinances outline further requirements, all implemented to keep our city safe and attractive.
- Please be a good neighbor — pick up fallen leaves, don’t disturb others with loud music, and respect the residential nature of our city by removing business signs from properties in a timely fashion.
The speed limit throughout the City is 25 MPH. This limit and our stop signs are strictly enforced.
The City enforces parking regulations to maintain the safety and accessibility of our streets.
- It shall be unlawful for anyone to allow any vehicle to remain parked continuously from 12 a.m. to 6 a.m. on any of the public ways or streets of the city. Continuously parked is defined as a vehicle left parked in any one place for a period exceeding two (2) hours. Any vehicle left parked in any one place on any of the public ways or streets of the city during said period or longer shall be deemed abandoned and shall be subject to the law, rules, and regulations of the City of Wellington, County of Jefferson, and the State of Kentucky relating to abandoned vehicles, including the towing of said vehicles at the owner’s expense.
- Vehicles parked on City streets must occupy the side of the street not designated as a fire lane.
- Parking in front of a driveway or fire hydrant, on top of a speed hump, or with any wheels off the roadway (i.e. on a lawn) is prohibited.
- Vehicles parked off-street must be parked on a driveway (i.e. no parking on front or side yards).
- Blocking sidewalks while parked in a driveway is prohibited.
- Parking or storage of trailers, RVs or boats within public view for a period of more than twenty-four hours is prohibited.
Procedure for Enforcement of Parking Ordinance:
- 1st offense: a copy of the Ordinance that is being violated will be placed on the violator’s windshield and the license number of the offending vehicle will be recorded.
- 2nd offense: a second warning will be placed on the windshield and the license number will be placed on file with the City Clerk.
- 3rd and Final violation: a notice of due process hearing and a fine of $100 shall be implemented. At the hearing, the Commission will decide if the fine should be imposed.
* If the offending vehicle continues to violate the Ordinance and the fine(s) have not been paid, then the vehicle will be towed.
♦ PODs / Dumpsters:
A permit is required to be submitted 10 business days prior to arrival. No dumpster or temporary structure or accessory structure shall be erected, constructed or placed upon any residential property without first obtaining a permit from the City Clerk. All permits are subject to approval by the City Council and must be submitted in writing. Please download the correct form and mail/email the permit in 10 days prior to the dumpster/pods arrival. Download POD Permit or Dumpster Permit. Waste Management offers Bagsters which are an alternative to dumpsters. See Waste Management.
♦ Rental Properties:
All property owners in the City of Wellington must annually register their properties prior to January 1 each year. Please download the Rental Permit Request and send to the City. Property owners are expected to maintain and upkeep properties during and in between renters. Well maintained homes from all property owners helps increase property values in the City.
♦ Pets and Animals:
Animal control falls under the jurisdiction of the Jefferson County Department of Animal Control and Protection. County law specifies that “all animals shall be kept under restraint at all times.” All pets in the City must be licensed and vaccinated against rabies. To report animal nuisances or pet control violations, contact the Jefferson County Department of Animal Control and Protection.
Please be a good neighbor — pick up and properly dispose of your pet’s waste.
♦ Storm Drainage:
Effective surface drainage following heavy rain requires neighborhood cooperation, especially since shallow drainage channels exist throughout the City. Please take care that water channels on or adjacent to your property remain unobstructed and that street drains are kept clear.