The City’s sanitation contract is with Waste Management and they provide all residents with recycle bin(s) and up to two large trash totes. Yard waste, Recycling and Trash collection is scheduled for Tuesday of each week. All services are from the curb. If you have any problems with or concerns about any of their services, please contact Waste Management directly. Phone: (502) 966-0117 / Website.
Yard waste is collected year round and includes organic waste generated during regular household landscaping and gardening activities. Examples include: leaves, branches, twigs, shrubbery trimming, straw, pine needles, wood ash, and Christmas trees. Rocks, dirt, and gravel are not considered yard waste.
There is no limit on the number of paper bags or cans of yard waste that may be set out for collection. Guidelines for collection of yard waste:
- Yard waste may be set out in garbage cans (including the large trash totes), paper bags, or compostable bags as long as each can or bag weighs no more than 60 pounds and can be easily lifted by the average person.
- All yard waste must be set out by 6 AM on collection day – no earlier than 4 PM on the day before collection day.
- All containers must be removed from the street or alley no later than 4 PM the day after collection and stored on the property.
- Yard waste such as grass, leaves, or other yard waste must be free of other garbage or plastics flower pots etc.
- Woody waste (such as tree limbs and shrub trimmings) should be less than 2 inches in diameter and should be cut into 4-foot lengths and securely tied into bundles light enough to be easily handled by one individual.
Effective January 1, 2015, yard waste set out for collection must be in one of the following containers: reusable bin, paper yard waste bag or compostable plastic bag meeting ASTM D6400 standards. So what is the best way to handle your yard waste?
- Most Recommended: For a healthier, greener lawn utilize leaf mulch, grass clippings and trimmings by returning them to the turf system.
- Second Best: Place the yard waste in 20-40 gallon reusable containers with handles (old style trash cans) to reduce the need for continual purchase of single-use bags
- Next Best: Place yard waste in paper bags designed for yard waste collection
- Still Works: Place yard waste in compostable plastic bags that meet ASTM D6400 standards
- For large amounts: Reduce the volume by using a lawn mower or leaf shredder before putting them in a container
Recycling: Acceptable recycling items include newspapers, magazines, junk mail, boxes (i.e., cereal, cracker, etc. with linings removed), corrugated boxes, soft drink boxes, orange juice cartons (rinsed out), detergent boxes (Tide, Surf, etc.). NO PIZZA BOXES! Aerosol cans. Aluminum foil, pie pans, and tin cans (rinsed). Beverage containers (soft drink bottles, beer bottles, etc.). All colors of glass (rinsed). All plastic items numbers 1-6.
Please contact Waste Management customer service if you would like additional recycle containers or need to replace a missing top at 966-0117.
Trash Collection: If you currently have only one green Waste Management trash bin and would like a second bin (for garbage only) please call Waste Management Customer Service at 966-0117.
In the event you would like a smaller trash tote, please contact Waste Management.
Waste Management will pick up junk and large items with advance notification.
Ancillary Waste Management Services: Instead of a dumpster, get a Bagster: Basic Price: $29.95 per bag/$89.00 to haul. Buy the Bagster bag at your local home improvement store. It comes in a compact package, so it’s easy to carry and set up. Simply buy as many as you need and fill them up with waste from your project. Fill your Bagster bag with up to 3,300 lbs. of debris or waste.